Peppermint oil is a wonderful addition to any collection due to its versatility, making it one of the most used essential oils. It’s loaded with many nutrients including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Omega-3 fatty acids, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese and copper. Its main constituent is menthol, which imparts the famous heady, minty aroma. It is this unique combination of nutrients that makes peppermint oil so effective at restoring health to the body.
Like many other essential oils, peppermint oil has many uses for your health, beauty and you can also use it around your home. Following are some popular uses for peppermint oil:
1. Calm Upset Stomachs. Rub on the stomach to help with bloating caused by gas and indigestion and other digestive issues. Peppermint tea is also great for settling an upset stomach.
2. Freshen Your Breath. You can place a drop of peppermint essential oil on your tongue to freshen your breath.
3. Clear Sinuses. Inhaling diffused peppermint oil can oftentimes immediately unclog your sinuses and offer relief to scratchy throats.
4. Joint Relief. Peppermint oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of I-menthol, makes it perfect for treating the pain and inflammation. Combine peppermint oil with a carrier oil and rub it on the affected areas to relieve pain.
5. Food Craving. The aroma of peppermint oil has the ability to make you feel full, faster…especially if you breathe it in during a meal!
6. Respiratory health. Peppermint oil is just about one of the best cleansers there is. For one thing, peppermint oil is a natural expectorant: this means that it is able to help the respiratory tract rid itself of the phlegm which is an inevitable result of bacterial or viral infections, irritation from smoke or smog or even seasonal allergies.
7. Prostate Cancer. Peppermint contains menthol, which may inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.
8. Memory Problems. The aroma of peppermint has been shown to enhance memory and increase alertness.
9. Seasonal Discomfort. Peppermint oil has the ability to relax smooth muscles in the body — the same muscles that line our airways and become affected in allergy season.
10. Relieve headaches: Peppermint oil has actually been known to relieve both migraines and tension headaches. Simply rub a drop or two of peppermint oil into the temples, the forehead and the back of the neck (anywhere you feel pressure).
11. Focus. Diffuse peppermint before study time, place a drop on the tongue or under the nose for improved concentration and alertness.
12. Boost Flavor. Make sure that you are using diluted, food-grade essential oil, though, as this is the only type that is edible. Add just a few drops, as a little goes a long way.
13. Anxiety and Depression. Peppermint oil can provide relief from stress, anxiety and depression.
14. Get Rid of Ticks. Place a little peppermint oil with a cotton swab on the tick. The tick will stop burrowing, remove its head.
15. Repell Insects. Peppermint oil acts as an excellent repellent for mosquitoes, spiders and other insects. Just add to water in a spray bottle and spray where you find pests are bugging you!
16. Cleaning. Peppermint oil is a powerful natural cleaning agent. Spray on counter tops and bathroom surfaces, scrub, and enjoy cleaner clean.
17. Sleep. Peppermint oil helps activate cold-sensitive receptors in the skin and mucosal tissues. When used this way, it may help with not being able to get to sleep.
For pure, high quality peppermint essential oil, look to BR Naturals.
They offer only natural, pure products with top quality ingredients, designed to be gentle like food for your skin. Their soap bars cleanse without drying, and are scented with essential oils. They contain no detergents or harsh chemicals, unlike commercial ‘cleansing’ bars.
BR Naturals are also producers some of the world’s PUREST cooking oils, such as Avocado, Coconut, Sesame, Black Seed, and coming soon is pure Olive oil. Check out their full line of products here: